Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Trying to achieve Calmness

So - how are things 1 week later?  I'm still obsessive.  I'm not freaking out as much.  I had several occurences last week of an extreme desire to drop out when I admitted to someone that I did indeed sign up for the great race.  Monday, I received my email from Ironman to complete the registration process.  I'm done.  I couldn't back out anyway but now I am officially signed up.  I have 6 weeks left to go on my P90x.  I've been swimming twice a week.  No running and no biking.  Life gets in the way, and frankly, my feet hurt.  I am thinking I may give them a rest for a couple of months as I know that training will bring back my issues.  Oh - and Rob put aerobars on my bike.  Perhaps I should try them out so that if I dump it and break something, I can heal up in plenty of time!

I'm not really doing very good on the cutting out the crap part of my plan.  I have reduced my latte consumption to a couple a week instead of daily.  I do often give in when there is a dessert nearby.  I DID grab 3 hershey kisses last night and after eating one - put the other 2 back.  It's progress.  I did do a cleanse last winter, and felt GREAT afterwards.  I kept up the no sugar part of it for a long time.  Perhaps I need to revisit this strategy.

I think I have a 2010 race plan also.  I think I will do the aquathon series in Madison again, although it will likely mean I miss some of Patrick's baseball games (sad to think about summer schedules already).  I will likely register for the Horrible Hilly Hundred bike race in Blue Mounds.  A bunch of us are planning on going up to Door County for the 1/2 Ironman in July already.  I will do the Madison Open Water Swim - it usually is the same weekend as the training plan's peak mileage, so I will do it with the intent of doing the IM bike afterwards.  I will probably do the J-Hawk Earlybird sprint in Whitewater in April.  Perhaps the Capitol View Olympic in June.  I debate whether to do Syttende Mai, but I am not sure doing something so long so early in the season makes sense.  (I just have a new goal to beat as Rob beat my time in May.)  I think I need to practice doing some shorter runs with a heartrate monitor so I can learn how to dial it back a bit.  I tend to go balls to the wall when I run and have not learned a thing about pacing.  Maybe this strategy isn't too bad for Ironman though either. After all, I will eventually hit a wall, might as well have as much under my belt as possible.  Or do I hit the wall quicker?  Things to ponder...

4 comments:

Team Brazo said...

Look forward to following you - I enjoyed following Rob (I did IMWI 2009, but never did meet him). I'll be doing IMWI 2011 also - plus I see the girls/boys swim coach from Stoughton is also doing IMWI 2011 this year.

I don't blog anymore, but I do "twitter" - http://twitter.com/teambrazo.

Nick Ternes said...

Stop worrying so much about cutting out the crap. Just cut out the wrong crap. Seriously, think about reading In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. Basic premise: Eat food, not too much, mostly plants. Gets you thinking about how we should eat, not how gov't food pyramids, society, and myriad of diets tell you to eat.

Wendy said...

Nick - we have that book! My problem is the sugar!

BRAZO - thanks for the post! Sally pointed out that I should do it because Elise would be a good training partner for me. We should arrange a Stoughton cycling outing sometime!

Jen said...

I may need to check that book out, although I know my issue is sugar too....well, mostly. But always interested in other views.

Lattes--we need to make a pact, as I have let them back in my life again too.

About this plantar fasciitis crap, who did we get THAT from? I didn't factor my feet into the thought process when taking over teaching that class! Jiminy Cricket!

Love you!
Jen