Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Unexpected

I said it -- I am expecting to expect the unexpected.  I did not expect to get a cold race week.  On my desk right now I have: 1 bottle of mucinex, 1 bottle of airborne, 1 bottle of Gaia Quick Defense herbal blend, Bolthouse Farms C-Boost Fruit Smoothie, Congestion & Sinus Tea, Water, and 1 1/2 pounds of fruit.  I am doing all I can to kick it to the curb quick.  I am a little bummed.  I was getting so excited for the weather forecast and to just get to it.  I did a sinus cleanse this morning.  I went to bed early.  I am getting a massage tonight.  I work tomorrow yet and will spend Friday in bed, if necessary.  I do have to say it feels more in the healing phase than the beginning phase (I hope I didn't just jinx myself).  My patients are cooperating and have been no-showing so I can relax.  That's not normally something I hope for.  In the end, race day will come no matter what shape I am in and being an amateur - I will not pull out.  I will toe that line, and I will execute my plan.  I will not look at the time at all, cuz in the end - if I finish - I will be ecstatic.  I can't do anything different to change the circumstances - and it is a cold, not a torn/broken/mangled injury.  I haven't been sick since last fall, so I haven't trained in this.  BUT - I've run with colds before.  I've swam with colds before.  I'll be okay.  I can still hope that it's gone by Sunday though.....

1 comment:

Team Brazo said...

Hope it goes away, but no doubt it'll work either way. Best of luck on Sunday - come back after u finish and watch the rest of us struggle on in.