Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Ironman Wisconsin: The Saga. Part 1 Pre-Event

Ahhh.  Where to start?  I really wanted to stay in the moment so that I could remember every aspect of what was in my head and who was around me.  I knew that it was going to be quite an experience like no other (besides childbirth) and I wanted to remember all of it.  When I last posted, I had a cold.  It was feeling MUCH better by race day, so that was a relief.  Thanks to Deanna for the supplement - it may have helped!

I worked Thursday (I leave at 2:30) - then went to check-in.  Robert was downtown for work so he met me and went along.  Really no line to speak of, and just flowed along.  Eventually to the store where I bought a visor and the Mdot shirt with all of our names on it. 

Friday, I went up to swim a little.  Wanted to make sure the water was still okay for my sleeveless wetsuit.  Met Rob for lunch, and then I went home for awhile.  Went to the athlete dinner.  Food was not the greatest, but enjoyed the evening.

Saturday, went to Patrick's football game.  Really tried to avoid getting stung by a bee (foreshadowing).  They were all over!  Afterwards, he went with a friend (thanks Mark - he was stressing me out!)  Then Mel, Rob, and I went up to drop my bike/bags and they made signs.  Stopped at the store on the way home - Rob was making dinner (he is a much better cook than I)!  Just a really low key day.  Melanie and I painted nails, my mother-in-law arrived.  Went to bed around 8?  Listened to music to fall asleep.  Slept about 7 hours or so.  Woke up feeling good.  Made 2 eggs, 2 pieces of PB toast, and had a banana.  Drank water and gatorade in the car and before the event.  Went to pick up Anna.

We parked near special needs.  There was a drunk girl in high heels stumbling past.  I think she was a little confused as to what was going on.  She was alone (hello? stupid!) - it was kinda funny to see.  Dropped our bags and made our way to transition.  I was glad to be early this time (Anna is super freaky about getting to transition early - I usually am not).  I borrowed someone's bike pump who had a flat, so she wasn't using it at the time.  Then Anna and I chilled in the Terrace for awhile.  Decided to go outside.  Tried the bathroom and port-a-potty -- "things" were not moving!  NEVER has happened before!  That was the only thing I was nervous about!  I didn't want to have an "urge" in the water!!  Got in the water early to figure out where I wanted to start.  Most people who know my swimming thought I should go to the front.  I'm sure if you have read my posts before you know that I was worried about contact and panicking.  I did take a pill before the start - just in case.  Overall, I was MUCH less nervous than any other race.  I think I knew it wasn't worth the energy to get worked up about something I couldn't control until I was in the moment.  What a rocking time this started out to be.  Stay tuned for part 2....

No comments: