Thursday, September 15, 2011

Ironman Wisconsin The Saga: Part Three - THE BIKE -- 7:48.38

Ahhh....the bike.  Red.  (that's what Rob calls him).  I worked pretty hard on the bike this year.  I rode that course A LOT.  I was going to keep my heartrate low and cadence high.  I figured maybe 7 hours or so.  Maybe a little longer, maybe a little less.  It was fun going down the helix.  There is a section where we take the John Nolen bike path to the Wingra Creek Path.  At that point, there is no passing.  If you haven't been on this path, it is quite narrow and winds around back to Olin Ave.  It is pretty tricky on a normal day. You can easily crash - and there is a reson there is no passing.  The no passing zone ends at the entrance to the Alliant Energy Center Parking lot (which we go through).  Well - a dude passed me.  It didn't affect me - he didn't crash into me etc.  But BOY - the dude behind me sure didn't like it!  He was yelling profanities at him.  I thought - chill out - you have 111 miles to go (although in actuality, they had a last minute change to the bike course and it was actually 113 miles in all).  I was amazed at how chill I was.  My heartrate was higher than I cared for it to be.  It stayed higher for a long time. 

There were a lot of people out there.  I knew going in that I was going to get passed by a ton.  It was a lot of fun.  The 1st aid station was on Whalen Rd.  My plan was to drink water - gatorade if I needed to.  I had Raw Rev bars and salt tabs.  I took a salt tab every hour.  I drank Gatorade for a different taste after the bars.  The 1st aid station, I grabbed a bottle of water to refill my aero bottle with.  When it was full, I went to throw it to the side and my aim was off.  I hit a boy in the chest and water sprayed all over him.  he put his arms out to the sides like WTF?  (he was maybe 10-12?)  I yelled "sorry" and a dude pulled up next to me cracking up.  I still feel bad, but I can't help but laugh at it now.  I did also take a banana.  Had an uneventful rest of the 1st 2 legs.  Rob pointed out to me that he broke the race into cities.  To Verona.  To Mt. Vernon. To Mt. Horeb.  To Cross Plains.  To Verona, etc. 

I knew the family was planning on being around the 151 overpass going into Mt. Horeb.  That was a couple of hours into the race.  I atually got to them a little early.  It was fun seeing them.  I had no problems at the Mt. Horeb aid station.  On to my favorite part of the course.  The rolling hills and the Garfoot downhill.  Even Cross Plains is okay.  I stopped at that aid station in CP to use the porta-potty.  Then off again. 

The "3 bitches" were next.  If you are not aware, there are 3 climbs before you get back to Verona that are tough.  From all accounts, these were going to be lined with people.  And were they ever!  I thought it was going to annoy me, but it was hilarious!  The costumes were outrageous!  There were 2 people on the course holding signs in from of them saying they were naked.  Totally looked real!  People were yelling like you were the leader of the Tour de France!  I had a great time on those hills. 

Going into Verona, it gets pretty fast.  I did see some friends in Verona - which was fun.  It always was something to look forward to.  Just past the 1/2 way point, we had our special needs bags.  I had a PB&J sandwich waiting for me.  I also knew I needed to re-apply sunscreen.  Stopped at that point briefly.  Took my sandwich and went off again.  I ate 1/2 my sandwich on the next road.  Just slowed down and took my time.  I figured this would be a low point for me.  It was in training.  I don't care for the course from Verona to Mt. Horeb - especially the 2nd time.  There are rolling hills, and it gets old.  I was working on getting to Hwy 92, which goes into Mt. Horeb - and I really felt like I was working so hard.  I was starting to wonder how I was going to make it through the course in time.  There is a nice downhill on G with a right turn onto 92 where you go up a short uphill.  It's nice to get some momentum to get you over that "bump".  My back tire skidded through that corner.  I was frustrated.  Luckily, I did not crash, but I was feeling like I needed to get back in the game.  There are 2 painted pigs right after you get on 92, and for the 1st time ever - I did not notice these pigs.  I was not aware of what was around me.  I was trying so hard to get my speed up.  I was not able to go over 14 mph.  I looked down in frustration.  FLAT TIRE!!  UGH!!  I am surprised no other competitors pointed it out. 

Now - I debated changing this tire all last week.  Rob had to change my front tire a month or 2 ago because he needed the extended valve on my front tire.  So - I obsessed about having a fresh tube on the back also.  Decided not to when I got sick.  I hadn't changed a tire in a long time, so that had worried me also.  Well - not much I could do but change the damn thing.  I had a hard time getting under the tire for awhile - I was cramping under my ribcage.  Finally got it - pulled the old tube and got the new one in.  I had a really hard time getting it under the tire - it was twisted, and I couldn't get it.  A fellow competitor rolled up and offered to help me.  He couldn't figure it out either.  He pulled it out and figured out that it was MADE twisted.  Grabbed my 2nd tube and got it in.  He finished it for me.  Benjamin was his name.  I think he was 13xx.  I made sure he took off before me.  Then I got going again.  I was moving along at a good clip.  I hadn't turned my garmin off when I stopped.  It took me at least 30 minutes to change this thing!  Got to the family a little bit later - Rob ran next to me - told him my troubles -- I was out of tubes.  He said not to worry about it and if it went flat again to see if I could get a tube from someone else.  I had a spare one - in special needs back in Verona.  UGH!  Anyways - on I went. 

From Mt. Horeb to Cross Plains aid stations, I drank 40 ounces of water and some gatorade.  It started to hit me that perhaps I was now behind on nutrition and hydration.  I stopped again to use the bathroom in CP - I couldn't go.  Uh-Oh.  I was still a little worried about my tire too.  Just keep moving along and try to catch up on fluids.  The hills were okay the 2nd time too.  A little harder, but not all that noticeable.  I did get stung by a bee in the middle of hills.  He flew right into my left thigh.  He was flopping there stuck in my leg.  I have to say - that bugger still itches today!!!  The Family was on the 3rd hill.  Melanie yelled at me that it was a race and to get moving.  I enjoyed seeing them again.  Gave me a spark to get back to Verona.  AND - What a relief Verona was!  I knew I would be making the turn back to Madison - best left turn of the race (according to Rob).  At least the bike ride. 

Whalen was tough - I just wanted to be off my bike.  Thank Goodness we had a TAILWIND!!!  I did stop at the porta-potty on Whalen to see if I could go to the bathroom again.  A drop - that was brown (yes, I looked when I wiped - I knew to be concerned if it was going towards red.  Decided to keep drinking.  I started to re-work my run strategy in my head.  I think I was actually talking to myself under my breath.  Crazy from the heat!!!

I was so happy to be on John Nolen again.  I actually enjoyed going up the helix.  I knew my friend Wade was catching bikes.  He was standing waiting for me!  My family was also on the Terrace looking down upon me.  SO SO SO relieved to get my butt off of that seat!  Grabbed my garmin and my fullest gatorade bottle and into the terrace I went

Grabbed my T2 bad - they said "straight out" and pointed me out the wrong door!  The crowd parted and let me into the path to get to the changing room.  Found a chair and set out to do a full change again.  Legs were feeling crampy.  I wanted to put my compression socks on, and I was not certain I could do it.  Now - I don't mean this to sound bad.  I SOOO much appreciated my volunteer, and I was in no hurry.  But, she didn't really know what was what.  That really didn't matter - I just needed more help this time.  It took me longer than I had wanted it to and I knew I was going to be in some trouble physically with this next journey.  She put those socks on me - she deserves HUGE kudos for that.  If you have never done this - trust me - it's not easy to do on yourself even when you are dry and not cramping!  There was a point when the volunteers at the entrance to the changing room frantically called for a medic.  I do not know what happened.  Finally - we had me all changed and ready to go.  Walked out to start the run and saw some friends.  Then I saw my family.  I was ready to get the start of the end going.  I was not in a bad place mentally at all.  I put the bike behind me.  This was going to be long, but I was still feeling like I could finish.

No comments: