Friday, July 29, 2011

Swimming Issues

So, another Aquathon last night - more issues.  I really do not believe I was in a panic attack.  I was comfortable and swimming well.  After the 1st turn, I decided to draft a little.  This girl and I were pretty evenly matched, so I dropped back a little.  I needed to unlatch my wetsuit anyways, as I was quite warm.  As I was swimming, I started wheezing.  I did some breastroke and coughed up some junk and went again.  I was fine for a few minutes and I had to cough again.  And - so it went the rest of the way in.  Of course my whole run was ruined now.  I do have an inhaler, but I almost NEVER need it.  In fact - I think the only time I have used it in the last several years was at Aquathon!  I keep it in my purse - which was in the car.  I actually considered going there 1st out of transition, but by the time it kicked it I was better off just doing a run/walk thing.  I bought new shoes before the race so I wanted to try to fix my crappy form anyways.  I was surprised to find that I was 81/89 last night.  How terribly sad...

When everything goes to hell, I have a really hard time pulling out of the mental funk.  I thought I handled Door County very well, I couldn't do anything about the weather.  That swim was longer, more contact, and choppy.  NO problems.  I swam very well (besides poor sighting).  The last aquathon (3 weeks ago) - I did not have problems.  My tongue was tingly, but I didn't have the wheezing.  I'm just not sure what to do.  If it is in fact panicky feelings that I am not recognizing, I don't know what to do when IMOO gets here.  I'm not sure more open water practice really will help as I can swim in open water by myself forever.  Even with my wetsuit.  I do prefer it unlatched in back.  I think I will just go out that way for the rest of the season.  There is a small part of me that wants to go without the wetsuit, but that is probably foolish for that distance.  I have 1 more aquathon and the madison open water swim scheduled.  I might try a couple of these swim clinics that are offered in the next couple of weeks.  Maybe Lake Monona is better quality wise compared to Mendota, although I doubt it. 

No comments: